Thursday 15 March 2012

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

 There are two main types of marketing for my film that I created with my ancillary tasks; the first is advertising, a more expensive but rather effective way of advertising; this being my film poster, and the second being through press release, this being my magazine cover
 (Click here for additional information on website


Through press release, there are many techniques that can create an awareness for a film; such as magazine/newspaper interviews, press kits, unseen footage and more. By marketing the film through this method, it is relatively cheap but also rather difficult, you do not have to pay to place your film in a magazine or newspaper but through competition the film earns a right to be placed in a magazine or newspaper.

 
 When creating my ancillary tasks; consisting of a film poster and also a magazine promoting my film, I decided that in order to create a promotional package for the film that it was important to create a link between all three. The fact that I used images directly from the film trailer links the print tasks to the trailer immediatly.

In my film poster, (left image) I used two screen grabs from my film trailer. One of a shot of an eye, and the other a shot of the killer.


 As shown above both shots are taken from my trailer, they are taken just as the trailer begins to build up pace and the music speeds up. In Photoshop I edited both of the shots in order to make them clearer, I then layered them and used the polygon lasso tool to cut out the inside of the eye, I could then put the other image in the background to create an interesting shot for the poster. The shot implies that the killer is looking into the eye of his next victim, a dangerous prospect for the audience. Also, the dark contrasting tones in the poster create an even darker feel, and the slightly red tinge to the killer connotes evil and matches the striking red text.

However, in my poster I could have used the same font as the text in the trailer, but I decided to use a different font that was still similar to the original but slightly more gory looking. I think that this will entice the audience and also seemed to fit better with my poster. Using white I found to be too striking on a poster and gave the wrong impression to the audience. 

The text that I used in the film poster I continued using in the film magazine, this I thought would help the film seem more memorable and iconic.
As you can see the same font is used throughout the media products, a similar font is used on the actual trailer but I decided to use a slightly more striking text that would attract attention to a magazine more efficiently. 
In my magazine I also used an original shot from my actual trailer, it was a shot that I found very interesting and originally wanted to use on my film poster.

However, on its own I did not think that this would be a conventional picture to use on a magazine cover, so I decided to use an image of the four main characters with a sub heading 'Exclusive interview with the cast' but when experimenting with the image, I found that it was not very professional looking to be the main image for my magazine, so decided to create something a little different.
The idea behind my magazine cover is that the sub heading reads 'behind the scenes exclusive' and so by using an actual still from the film I then added all four main characters into the background, connoting the fact that they are behind the scenes; literally. I think this is really signified by the fact that the final girl appears twice, which truly shows the purpose of the image.



1 comment:

  1. There are some good comments here but I would like to see more detailed comparison between the so that you show further how they both reinforce the same marketing image. You could look at colours taglines images etc. Then you need to think about your film magazine cover as a different sort of product. The trailer and the poster are both examples of advertising entirely controlled by the film distribution company. This company will also have a publicity strategy which will attempt to generate favourable publicity in film magazines etc. So your film magazine is an example of a successful publicity strategy. You need to explain a little about how a distribution company goes about creating such a strategy. Think about press packs, interview rounds on TV chat shows, organising press screenings and so on. Check out launchingfilm.tv or the distribution booklet I gave you further details.

    ReplyDelete